Re: [ASTRO] Re: convention

On Nov 24,  3:15pm, Tiffany Morningstar wrote:
> Subject: Re: [ASTRO]  Re: convention
> What do you mean by folksy, in regards to the MST3K cons?

I mean compared to other Cons it was kinda casual and charmingly amateurish,
and there was a lot more accessibility of the people the Con was about.
As I said, I don't make it to a lot of Cons, so I don't have much of
a basis for comparison.  I just get the impression that most Cons are
slick marketing festivals.

> I went to the
> last one, and folksy never came to mind when I think back to it.  I was
> kind of hoping they would play the last one, but without Joel I can see
> why they wouldn't persue doing so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "play the last one".  Help my enfeebled
old brain understand.

>  And with frank and Trace gone now, I
> am debating whether I would want to go to another.

Frank and Trace were one of the best comedy teams in history.
To have them broken up is a tragedy.  To see where Trace has ended
up, as a writer for the new "America's Funniest Home Videos" is
enough to make me cry.  At least Frank is working on a cool show,
"Sabrina The Teenage Witch".  He's the script editor, which means
he probably wrote some of the funnier/weirder lines, and he makes
occasional appearances as various one-shot characters.

Nonetheless, I am still loyal to the show and I still think it
is good.

> But I agree, the
> costume ball would have been kick ass if MOAM would have played.

My flight schedule and lack of costume and dancing ability kept me
away from the ball.  But any event would be better with MOA? involved.
Hmmm...  maybe I can get them to play at my funeral when they are,
hopefully, very very old.  Or maybe life-forms from their grid sector
don't get old like we do.

> From
> what I hear, another MST3K con is not likely to happen.

Too bad.  I hope they are still doing studio tours.  I want to get some
3D shots of the sets and props.

> It would be
> really weird if you think about it too, none of the original cast members
> are on the show anymore except for Gypsy.

I've got some bad news for you regarding Gypsy.  She hasn't hardly been
seen at all this season, and I was reading the credits recently and it
listed Patrick Brantseg as Gypsy, not Jim Mallon.  I'm not sure how long
Patrick has been with BBI.  Jim Mallon is still the producer, however.

As for the rest of them.  I guess that depends on what you mean by
"original".  Kevin Murphy has been Tom Servo since the second of the eight
seasons, and even Joel has said that the KTMA episodes and first season
shouldn't count.  Mike Nelson has been head writer since around the
same time, and has been appearing frequently as various classic walk-on
characters, like Torgo, all along.  Mary Jo was a writer and frequent
walk-on (or roll-on in the case of Jan-in-the-pan) for several years
before taking on the Pearl role.

> It seemed like there were alot
> of MOAM fans at the last con, I never saw so many people wearing MOAM
> shirts in my life!  It would be an interesting concept.

Yeah.  I noticed that, too.  I was to shy to talk to any of them.
Heck, I was too shy to talk to anyone.  Remember the guy in the MOA?
shirt during the Q&A session about the movie who asked why they didn't
use the MOA? version of the theme?  That wasn't me.  I wonder if he
is on the list, though.

> Tiff
>

>-- End of excerpt from Tiffany Morningstar

Mookie