[ASTRO] Re: Fave Bands

.. begin astro-transmission

<snip!>
> From: Maggadog@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of <astro-list@furball.slime.org>
> Subject:  [ASTRO]  Re: Fave Bands
>
> .. begin astro-transmission

> << Less than Jake (ska punk) >>
>

> Less than Jake suck and are Sellouts!
>

> Cornelius
<snip!>

I don't know anything about this Jake band, but this brings up a question.

What the heck is a Sellout?  I don't mean as in a sold-out show, but rather
as in a sold-out band.  People keep ranting about how some band or artist
or other has sold-out, and I don't really get what they mean.

Do y'all mean that a band that does well is a band that isn't good anymore?
What kind of sense does that make?

I've noticed that some posters to this list seem to arbitrarily limit
their musical appreciation to what they consider to be "independant"
artists.  This exclusive outsiders club seems to value obscurity over
quality.

Are these crazy kids going to scorn MOAM if/when they sign with a major
label and start playing arenas?  I just saw Weezer and No Doubt last
night at a totally packed stadium.  Weezer was a little sloppy, but No
Doubt was great.  These are both former club bands.  Do they now suck
because they're successful?  I don't think so.

Personally, I hope MOAM gets signed with a major label and starts playing
the big arenas.  I like the intimacy of the club venues better, but I
want these space-dorks to rake in all of the earth-bucks they so richly
deserve.  They've paid their dues slumming around the stinking smoky little
bars constantly at risk of actually running a financial _loss_ for the
night, despite all their hard and earnest work.

Stepping off my capitalist soapbox,