[ASTRO] Re: Starship Troopers

.. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]

Sorry to be a broken record, but in the case of 2001, the movie was
_not_ "derived from" the book.  They were created together, simultaneously,
as a very even-handed collaberation between Clarke and Kubrick.  Obviously
each of them had greater influence over the finished product in their
particular medium of specialty, and if forced to make an arbitrary
judgement I would give slightly more overall credit for both to Clarke.
For one thing, both media of 2001 were actually derived from a Clarke
short story.  Too bad I can't remember the title, something like
"The Sentinel" or something.

I would not agree that the entire series of Clarke Odyssey books are
all that great.  They are certainly worth reading, but none of the
sequels are terribly memorable.  In fact, 2063 (or was it 2064?) was
actually fairly bad, and 3001 starts out very fresh and interesting
and just sort of grinds slowly to a halt from there.

Speaking of Clarke, I am very proud to say that I have just recently
finally finished reading the _entire_ RAMA series of books.  Yikes!
Those are thick puppies.  The first and last books were by far the
best, and the middle two were very uneven.  I guess I'm getting more
patient in my old age, or maybe it was just all the time I have spent
in airplanes recently, but I had never really stuck with a book
as thick as some of those RAMA books before all the way to the end,
and I have never read a whole series of books like that.  Now...
on to the RAMA computer game, just as soon as I finish "Space Bunnies
Must Die!".

Rambling Mookie