[ASTRO] Re: Starship Troopers

.. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]

<snip!>
> >PLEASE READ BOOKS
> >BEFORE YOU SEE THE MOVIE VERSION of anything, because they are always
> >better.
>
>     Well just to bring everything full circle, I can easily think of two
> movies in which this is not necesarily the case: 2001 and Clockwork Orange
>
>   -kiyoshi-

This goes beyond full circle and back into the discussion of Kubrick.
This may be old news to some of you, but the book and movie of "2001"
have a unique relationship that probably has never before or since
existed.  Both the movie and the book were created _simultaneously_,
and in the usual Kubrick style, through an expensive process of trial
and error.  I think the two versions of "2001" are companion pieces,
neither fully appreciable without the other, although the book comes
closer to working on it's own.   "2001" is such a monumental work
in both forms because it is the truly collaborative product of two
of the best creative minds of the century: Kubrick and Clarke.

For more about the history of both version of "2001", search through
the used book stores for a book by Arthur C. Clarke called
"The Lost Worlds of 2001".  It combines excerpts of discarded drafts
for the book and script with Clarke's personal journal entries made
while the book and movie were in production.  This will deepen your
appreciation for "2001" more than any of the sequels.