Re: [ASTRO] Re: Space Bunnies Must Die! (PC vs. MAC?!)

> From evil_teapot@yahoo.com Fri Dec  4 11:59:25 1998
> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:00:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: astro-man <evil_teapot@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [ASTRO]  Re: Space Bunnies Must Die!
> To: Michael Kepler <kepler@metro1.com>
> I don't care. I'm having fun laughing at you PC weenies...
>
> ;-)

Ok ok... I realize MAC is the ASTRO-platform of choice, hosting both
the astro-list and the astroman home page, as well as being the
underlying system for ASTRO-samples and ORI music.

However... you needn't get nasty about PC users.  The PC is the
best priced-performance ratio hardware platform.  The various flavors
of MsWindoze are all grotesquely flawed operating systems, but we can't
escape the fact that lots of cool games are written first for
that platform.

As a gaming platform, the MAC simply sucks by comparison to PC/Windoze.
Not because there is anything wrong with the MAC per-se, but because
the software just isn't there.  A tiny fraction of the games produced
are written for mac.  A few more that come out for PC/Win eventually
get ported to MAC, after they've been in PC discount bins for a couple
of years.

My favorite OS is Linux, but there are even fewer games for it than
there are for MAC.  So when I want to play games, I'm generally booting
up my Windows partition.  So what?  I go where the content and/or
functionality I need are.  Platform loyalty for its own sake just
doesn't make sense.  If Space Bunnies Must Die had come out for
Playstation only, for example, I probably would have ponied up the
bucks to finally buy one.  As it is, there aren't enough must-have
titles on that platform to justify the cost to me (although I do
spend a lot of time at other people's houses playing Bushido Blade).

Of course, people use computers for things other than games.  Mac
appears to have a significant presence in graphics production houses,
although they're in pretty stiff competition from SGI in that market.

Ok, that's enough rambling.  By the way, I own a MAC as well, but
it is an old pre-POWER one so it doesn't run the latest greatest stuff.

Mookie