[ASTRO] Re: MP3s, rarities.

I have, for my own listening purpouses, made MP3s of all of the
MOA? music I have, including singles, tracks from comps and
several fan tapes of live shows.

Everything fits on a couple of CD-ROMS which means I can take
my entire MOA? collection with me wherever I go with my laptop
and can listen at will.  Plus, I keep a set at work and don't
have to worry about theft of my originals or the drudgery of
hauling them back and forth.   The best part, though, is I
can put my MP3 player on random play and stay in musical bliss
for countless hours.  And I'm able to pepper it with additional
sound bites like Star Trek (Original Series only) dialog and
sound effects.

But... I fear the question about MP3s relates to the questionable
practice of opening up vast collections to all comers on the
Internet.  Legalities aside, this can actually hurt the band
you love by giving people one less reason to go out and buy their
stuff.

I myself have a couple of slightly altered MOA? tracks on my
website, but I regard that as more of an introductory teaser
to lead people to buy the real thing.  I don't think it is a good
idea to put entire LPs worth of MOA? music up for free on the
Net.  These guys aren't exactly rolling in Earth-bucks, and I
wouldn't want to give them a reason to quit music and repair
TVs for a living.

Mookie