[ASTRO] Tomita/MST3K/Prisoner/Floyd (sorry no ASTROstuff)

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jack Lightfoot wrote:

<snip!>
>      I have most everything Tomita has done and can not EVER remember him
> doing music for any monster movies. I will recheck my Gamera movies, but I
> know for a fact that he didn't do any music for Godzilla that was in any of
> the films. Akira Ifukube is probably the best known of the Godzilla
> composers. He wrote much of the music that has come to be known from the
> movies.

Found it!  The Japanese "movie" featured on MST3K with music by Isao
Tomita is "Mighty Jack", which is actually edited together from a Japanese
TV series.  This isn't a monster movie, so you are correct that it
does not appear than Tomita did any monster movie soundtracks.  A check
of the Internet Movie Database supports all of the above.

<snip!>
>      "The Prisoner", mocked on MST3K? I dunno. Although, I saw a rerun of
> "The Simpson's" last night, where Marge was busting into a religious cult
> to save the Family and she encountered "Rover", the giant beach ball. They
> even used  a snippet of "The Prisoner" soundtrack music. That was cool!
>      See ya!
> --Fiber Unit

Speaking of "The Prisoner", and bringing it all back around to music,
today I got my latest "Prisoner" tape from Columbia House.  The episode
is "The General", with that great final scene where 6 destroys a super
computer by asking it "why?".   There was this proto-text-scanner
contraption that they fed sheets of typed paper and which spit out something
akin to punch cards (but different).  Anyway, the sounds made by this
thing are definintely some of the same sounds heard in the opening
sound effects sequence of "Welcome To The Machine" by Pink Floyd!  I'm
now very curious about the true origin of these sounds.  Most likely,
both Floyd and the Prisoner folks found these sounds in the same place,
namely the vast BBC sound effects libraries.  But I am nonetheless curious
if either the device shown in the episode and/or the sounds are authentic
early computing equipment of any kind (obviously they didn't really have
OCR equipment in 1968, so some artistic license was in any case employed).

Sorry, no astro-content here.