[ASTRO] Re: Recent cd picks/Clones questions

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Jack Lightfoot wrote:

<snip!>

> Servotron: "I sing the Body Cybernetic" 7" and cd single. Need I say more?
> Our robots rock! What's the consensus on the remixes?

If, by "remixes" you refer to the "live" tracks, I beleive you have
picked an apt term.  I don't quite understand the point of supposed
"live" recordings that have absolutely none of the ambiance of a live
performance and which are decidedly un-characteristic of the band's live
sound.  Having said that, these are um... interesting versions.  I have
not heard 00ZX1 use this particular voice processing in concert, or
on record for that matter.  For me, it doesn't work as well as his
naked "human voice synthesis".  Also, to my experience Proto-Unit
V3 is usually better at staying on-key that she does on
these bonus tracks.

Those who were upset about CD-only tracks shouldn't be that disappointed.
Also, keep in mind that Servotron (and MOA? for that matter) already
have a number of tracks that are NOT available on CD.  I was happy to
finally get a version of "The Power of Electricity" on CD.

> Various Artists: "Secret Agent Sounds". I finally found this thing after
> months of looking. I really dig this sort of spy music stuff and having
> MOAM? do the Goldfinger theme was a big plus!

Yeah.  This is a way cool collection.  Better even than the "Estrus
Cocktail Companion".

> The Best of Godzilla (54-75 and 84-95): Two cd's of the  original Toho
> "Gojira", not that Hollywood, "Jurassic Park" wannabe. This is the original
> film score music to all of those 22, lovely, Japanese films, with the guy
> in a rubber suit, smashing Tokyo. Like God (or Ishihiro Honda) intended it.

Hey, is there any stuff composed by Isao Tomita in this collection.
You may or may not know Tomita as the super-weird Japanese sythesist
that did all of these wacked-out interpretations of "classical" music
in the `70s.  I know he does some film music in Japan, and actually
did the music to one of the movies that ended up on MST3K (either a
Gamora or Fugitive Alien or Might Jack, I'll have to check now).

> PROJECkT TWO: "Space Groove", Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew and Trey Gunn WAIL
> on electrified, noisey, spacey, improvisational jazz, meanderings. This is
> not Rock and Roll, but I like it! I saw them in Nashville a few months ago
> and was very impressed.

I really want to hear this stuff.  I am envious that you got to hear
them live.  I did, however, see The Trey Gunn Band a few months ago,
and actually scored Trey's setlist, complete with notes to himself
about which guitar synth patches to use on each song.

<snip!>

> B-52's: "Time Capsule", re-mastered greatest hits, plus a few new things.
> Does anyone remember what soap opera they appeared on in 1977, or 78? I was
> cracking up thinking about that today. It just seems like yesterday. I saw
> them live in Nov. of 1983 at the UGA Coliseum in Athens, Ga. They're still
> a lot of fun today.

I've always loved B-52's, and was totally floored by Schneider's
"Just Frank" solo effort (featuring Shadowy Men, no less).  Am I making
a big mistake by shying away from the $40.00 ticket price for their
appearance in my area?  I'll probably decide it's worth it _after_
it sells out.

>      So what is the deal with the astro-clones? Has anyone seen them yet? I
> need "information".

You're not the only one.  Confusion is mounting even as we get more
"information".  I need those field reports to make sense of it all.

> And speaking of which, when is "The Prisoner" movie
> going to be out?
> --Fiber Unit

Hey, I sure hope Patrick McGoohan is involved is such a project in
some significant way.  I am in constant debate with myself regarding
the best TV show ever made: is it The Prisoner or is it MST3K?
Of course, my fantasy is to have Prisoner episodes _on_ MST3K.
As much as I love The Prisoner, it has plenty of potential for
robotic mockery.