[ASTRO] Re: Movies/Soundtracks

> .. begin astro-transmission [X-HJIKE27.W3]
>
> Greetings:
>      Of course Moon Dawg is right, that version probably did sell more
> tickets.
>      Mookie: I beleive that you can get a copy of "Metropolis" from Good
> Times video out of New York. I am sure that others distribute it as well.
> It is probabaly also available at you local library. At least it should be!

Thanks for the tips!

>      As for Tangerine Dream, their earliest works, "Electronic Meditation"
> (1970), "Alpha Centauri" (1971), "Zeit" (1972) and "Atem" (1973) impress me
> as more experimental works, rather than as "Ambient" music. Perhaps you are
> thinking of their more sequencer-driven works from the mid-70's like
> "Phaedra" (1974) and "Rubycon" (1975). They really got QUITE commercial in
> the early 80's when they started doing movie soundtracks. Although "Legend"
> and "Sorcerer" were pretty good.
>      If you really want AMBIENT music, go to the source: Brian Eno's,
> "Discreet Music" (1975). That is the album that started it all and coined
> the term, ambient. Eno also has a fine series of ambient recordings from
> the late 70's and early 80's. My personal favorite is "Ambient 4/On Land"
> from 1982. While you're at it, don't overlook his work with the pioneering
> electronic group "Cluster". Quite a treat!
>      See ya!
> --Fiber Unit

I'm impressed by your grasp of recent music history.  Brian Eno is indeed
the "father" of "ambient" music.  The term "ambient" has been applied to
a wide range of things in recent years, and in my opinion it doesn't
always fit.  A case in point is, in fact, early Tangerine Dream.  I wasn't
asserting that early TD was "ambient", just reporting that these days
people tend to give it that label.  I'm not sure what to call early TD,
so I guess "experimental" is as good as anything.  I am very fond of
TD up through the very early 1980's, and pretty mixed on everything since,
although I still buy it and listen to it.  I'd suggest you join the
Tadream mailing list, but it isn't nearly as cool or fun as this list.