[ASTRO] Re: Empty vee, stones that roll etc.

.. begin astro-transmission

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Andreas Lux wrote:

> ... Mookie once mentioned that he is
> hypercritical when listening to music the first time. So, how do you
> discover new music? As a Pink Floyd fan you have to be open for new
> styles, I think...

I just meant that I sometimes need to listen to a recording a few times
before I know what I _really_ think of it.  Often I don't think
I like something the first time I hear it, but after I hear it in
the right frame of mind, or get past whatever incorrect expectations
I may have had, I find out that I really like it.  This describes my
experience with MFT.

I am very open to new styles, I think.  I am also very open-minded
about changes in the style of bands I like.  For example, I am
a long-time fan of Tangerine Dream, a band that has completely
overhauled its sound at least 3 times.

Here's a funny fact: until about 2 years ago I thought that the
group that defined what "surf" sounds like was The Beach Boys
and had little interest in it.  My head was turned first by a couple
of surf covers done on acoustic guitars by The California Guitar Trio,
and then I was totally blown away by MOA?   I'm still playing catch-up
on all of the great Surf, Rockabilly and Instro-rock out there now
and in the past.

Still not too keen on most Opera, Country, Reggae or Rap, though,
although I could name examples of each that I truly like.