[ASTRO] Re: NES , pic disc...

.. begin astro-transmission

> DID YOU NEVER SEE A PICTURE DISK????? That is a disk with a picture
> inside. It is made of see-through vinyl (of course). The MOAM? live trans.
> pic disk has some pics that look really weird.
>
> Bye
>
> Andreas

They are cool to collect and look at, but they don't sound nearly
as good as solid vinyl records.  They are basicly a sandwich of
thin layers of clear vinyl on either side of a piece of printed
cardboard.  Thus it is no surprize that they sound like those
records they used to put on the backs of cereal boxes, as that
is essentially what they are.

I have Servotron's "Meet Your Mechanical Masters" in the "silver"
vinyl version, which is really a picture disc with metal-foil-coated
cardboard in the middle.  It looks really super cool but sounds
kinda crappy.  I wish I had the black vinyl as well.

I've heard some people claim that solid non-black clear or colored
vinyl sounds as bad as picture discs, but this has not been my
experience.  In fact, colored vinyl usually sounds _better_ to
my ears.