[ASTRO] Re: Site Update (mee too!)

.. begin astro-transmission

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Andreas Lux wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission
>
> Hi astro webdesigners!
>
> My comments:
>
> both look pretty good, although I like the new page of <Adam> a little bit
> more.

Awww.. now my feelings are hurt.  I guess you have to be a true fan
of both MOA and MST3K to prefer my site.  Even if you saw MST3K,
I think the humor is probably a little too "American" for you to
get much of it, as we have previously discussed.

In my defense, all of the MOA images and graphics on my site are exclusive
to my site (unless they've been pilfered and I haven't noticed yet).
All of the photos/snaps were taken by me or by friends who attended the
same shows.  I don't want to seem snobby, but I take some pride in
going to the extra effort to provide unique and original content.

Don't get me wrong.  I like Adam's site, too.  Most of his photographs
come from sites that weren't nearly as nicely done as his, so they have
found a better home.  This isn't a contest. The more MOA sites the better!

> The photographs are really cool. Some tabs, too, but I think
> you are a little bit wrong with "out of Limits".
> Michael, I have some problems with your MP3 files. There are dropouts,
> what can be the reason? Please let me know.

Hmmm... The originals are fine, so this might be problems with my
upload to the web server or with your download.  I don't know what
OS you're running, but if you have the ability to checksum files,
like with the Unix/Linux command "sum", here is what the originals
come out to:

25923 814  mst3k.mp3
18554 316  sgtheme.mp3
21717 1158 tfv.mp3
22157 183  zombie.mp3

Really, only the first number matters, as the second can be affected
by differing block sizing on our hard disks.

I don't have telnet access to the web server at my ISP so I'll have
to ask the guy there to sum them for me.

Do you have other MP3 files that play without problems?
Which player are you using?

Also, if you are relatively new to MP3 you might not know that
phase distortion and other strange artifacts that might be
perceived as dropouts are common with lower-resolution MP3
files like these.  For some reason these side-effects are most
evident when there are cymbal crashes.  Some players are better
than others in this regard.