[ASTRO] Re: the new sound

.. begin astro-transmission

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997 TBudinger@aol.com wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission
>
> I know we debated the new sound when 1000x came out, but it seems the boys
> are sticking to it.
> And...i think most fans don't like it. I do like it, but Im not most fans.
> but I do think they've lost something. It's not as silly anymore. Not as
> "Night of the Vampire Space Mummy: II" as it used to be. Not as camp, if that
> is the right word.
>
> It seems like the boys arn't having as much fun with it as they once were...
> I dunno, Ill have to wait till i see um live again do finnaly decided.
>
> what do you who have seen them recently think, Andreas you saw um right?
>
> For some reason i have a feeling this might be the last tour???
>
> Take on me
>    timmy

I share some of your concerns, but my hopes are still high.
When I saw them in April, and then bought 1000X, there was
a big difference between the 1000X Astromen and the live
Astromen.  The 1000X songs totally rocked live and they were
their usual fun-loving selves.  1000X took a couple of listens
to accept, but ultimately is one of my favorites.

I've heard the new album on the RealAudio feed, recorded it and
listened to it a couple more times.  It _is_ a dramatic continuation of
the transmogrification of MoAM that started in small ways on
Experiment Zero and continued more obviously on 1000X.

I have very mixed feelings about this transmogrification on record,
with it's dark and self-conciously "serious" undertones.  One of
the things I have always loved most about the band is how fun
they are.  There was always an infectuous cheerfulness in the
sound that is sadly absent in most of the new album.  Nonetheless,
I trust that when they come to town again, they'll rock and be
as fun as ever. I hope I'm not wrong.

Another disturbing trend on the new album is the degeneration of
Starcrunch's playing style.  He is one of the most technically
excellent players ever, and a review of fan tapes of the last
four years clearly shows his chops steadily improving.  But on
the new album, he over-uses a handful of dramatic but simplistic
new riffs and effects.  There isn't much on this new album, in
terms of writing for and playing the guitar, that can compare
to earlier tracks like "Rocketship XL-3" or "Special Agent Conrad
Uno".  Maybe Starcrunch is getting a little tired, or maybe he's
trying to inject some "easier" songs into the mix so that he can
withstand playing longer sets, which is usually expected of bands
as they become more successful.

Despite all of my reservations and complaints, I remain a loyal
fan.  I think risky experimentation is much better than stagnation,
and ultimately what the band does must be driven by their own
personal impulses, not the expectations of fans.

Servotron, which includes half of the touring MoAM, still rocks!
I just saw them a couple of weeks ago, and there was no lack of
the good-natured fun (disguised as hatred and intent to kill)
that has always characterized MoAM.

Sorry this was so long.