[ASTRO] Re: Vinyl Thingies (was something else)

.. begin astro-transmission

> Vinyl has its place. I'm not a vinyl purist by any means, but I seem to
> be collecting more and more of it. It's great to go to garage sales a buy
> old vinyl for 25-50 cents a pop... I've been working on a pretty good
> Herb Alpert collection this way :-)

I'm workin' on my Chuck Mangione collection myself.  The scary part is
that I'm _not_ joking.

> I find that I'm much more tempted to drop the quarter for something I've
> never heard before.
<snip!>

Yeah.  I just dropped 99 bucks on a turntable a couple of weeks ago and
it is one of the best investments I've made in a long while.  So much
cool or quirky or otherwise interesting stuff that you just can't get
on CD and/or wouldn't pay CD prices to try out.  I now really enjoy
my trips to Goodwill and Salvation Army; I can look through LP
bins as well as kick around the salvagable electronics.

As for some other things folks have said in this debate.  It is
from my perspective definitely worthwhile to get a vinyl player
"just" to get those vinyl-only tracks.  "The Wayward Meteor" on
"New Sounds of Tomorrow" is an absolute must-have track, for example.
And in some cases, material originally mastered for LP is very poorly
mastered for CD, with incorrect EQ and other problems, in which
case the LP can sound BETTER than the CD.  The first two LPs from
MoAM are good cases in point. This is coming from a guy who loves
the CD format and hates the rythm section of Snap Crackle and Pop who
sit in on every LP.

You don't have to drop 99 bucks for a new one like I did; there's lots
of cheaper used gear out there.

> -Grant
>
> Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime. His sister had another
> one, she paid it for the lime. She put the lime in the coconut, she drank
> 'em both up.  - Fred

I _LOVE_ the "Just Fred" album, but please please don't mislead folks
about songwriting credits.  In fact, the words you quote above are from
the only song on the album for which Fred Schneider did NOT write the
lyrics.  The song is "Coconut", and it is written by the immortal, but
nonetheless dead, Harry Nillson.  Speaking of Nillson and vinyl, keep
an eye out for the original lp soundtrack of the animated feature
"The Point"; it includes a foldout comic book and is pretty neat.