[ASTRO] Re: <()> / \ <()>

.. begin astro-transmission

<snip!>
> From: Swinger500@aol.com
> To: Multiple recipients of <astro-list@furball.slime.org>
> Subject:  [ASTRO]  Re: <()> / \ <()>
>
> .. begin astro-transmission

> << ctually, wasn't it Run DMC that really got rap going?
>  (I thought that Public Enemy was a lot newer) >>
> sugar hill gang started rap, uncultured fool!!!!!!!

<snip!>

Hey culture expert, where does "Grandmaster Flash and the
Furious Five" fit into your rap history lesson?  "New York
New York"  and "The Message" by said group was the first rap I ever
heard, and  this was in the _early_ 1980s. That stuff was beautiful,
like good beat poetry, not like most of the (c)rap since then.

Run DMC is a fun novelty group, but I'm pretty sure most "serious"
rap fans don't consider them to be the genuine article.  I think it
can be argued that "Public Enemy" pretty much defined and dominated
the genre, everthing since has been a little pale by comparison.

But I am definitely no expert on this form of music.  I'm an old
Prog Rock freak even though my favorite band is Punk/Surf (MOAM of
course).

Mookie

P.S.  Hmmm... does Swinger500@aol.com have a day off or a boss that
doesn't care?