[ASTRO] Re: car crash tunes

.. begin astro-transmission

On Wed, 21 May 1997 g.nicoll@genie.com wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission
>
> Y'all are such wimps, smashing your cars to "Taco Wagon" and such. Me, I
> totaled my granpa's Volvo while listening to nothing less than the Ramones,
> I'll have you know. My boombox went through the windshield, but "The KKK
> Took My Baby Away" was still playing on it after I crawled from the wreckage.
>
> -- GREGORY NICOLL

<snip!>

I don't know how this "what I was listening to when I smashed the
car" thread got started, but it's great because I have just such
a story.

In 1987 I totalled my Volvo while listening to "My Generation"
by The Who.  It was that really cool Smother's Brothers show
version on soundtrack to The Kids are Allright.

When the car finally came to rest I was sitting there, gripping the
steering wheel and the gearshift, with little square chunks of
windshield in my mouth listening to Pete Townshend smashing his
guitar at the end of the song.  It was one of those quintissential
Rock moments.

What does this have to do with MOAM?  Shouldn't I have posted this
to one of the Who lists?  Well, one of the things I really like about
MOAM is the energy and enthusiasim they put into their live show.
In this way, MOAM is very much like the early Who.  When I first saw
MOAM last year at a crowded little club I was totally blown away.
I had never seen a band ROCK like that in my life.  I felt I had
finally realized my dream of knowing what it must have been like
to see The Who at the Marquee club in London.

By the way, the accident was my fault.  "Failure to yeild."  That
really sucked.   I've totalled three cars, but only this once was
it my fault.

Rawk on, but keep your eyes on the road,