[ASTRO] Re: trace's hippie-ness

.. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]

MOA?/Starcrunch did _not_ play shows "exactly the same way it sounds
on the album".  I saw and taped them twice in 1997, and the same songs
sound noticeably different between the two performances, and very
different from the same songs on record.  I have become so fond of the
way Starcrunch played at those shows that the original studio recordings
of some of the songs are less interesting by comparison.

My problem with "hippie music" is not improvisation.  My problem is
with the same old cliche sounds and riffs over and over again.
Yes yes, I know surf music consists of other cliche sounds and
riffs over and over again.  I just like the surf sounds and riffs
better than the hippie sounds and riffs.  They're simply more fun.
Besides, MOA? was never "just" a straight old-school surf band, as
any fan of straight old-school surf will tell you.  They used surf
music as source material for their own unique and wacky sound and
style.

My other favorite band is King Crimson, and they can improvise the
pants off of any old Dead Phish.

As for Myopia...  On the whole I think EEVIAC is one of the best albums
from MOA?, and certainly the most diverse, but...  Myopia was a mildly
amusing experiment to listen to _once_.  It has become the first
MOA? song in their entire catalog that I actually skip over when
listening.   I do not fault them at all for the open and experimental
approach they took to EEVIAC, but if a significant amount of their
output starts sounding like Myopia, I for one will be losing interest
quickly.  I've heard Hey Jude and Freebird enough times in my life
already.

Mookie