[ASTRO] Re: Cd-player poll

.. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]

darkstar said:

> well, thats easy..just go pick up a audiophile magazine and pick one that
> costs more than 10 THOUSAND dollars.  man, some of that super-mega high end
> stuff looks like it comes from another world.
> but fora real world cd player?  Id go nakamichi...
> -Chrisbob

Nakamichi and "real world" in the same context?  I assume this is a joke.
There is no rational justification for the pricing of Nakamichi equipment.
But so long as the world contains both the greedy and the gullible,
companies like Nakamichi will have a niche.

I'm coming into this subject late and without reading prior posts, but
lemme just say that there ain't much difference out there.  Sony gear
is usually a good bet for decent quality and price.  There is no humanly
perceptible quality difference between virtually everything out there.
The exceptions are mostly the crap to avoid, not stuff that is
exceptionally high in quality.  The main value of the CD format is
that it is the great equalizer of quality.  Rich man and no-so-rich-man
(or woman) can enjoy the same audio quality (or lack thereof for you
vynil purists).  Sure there can be differences in quality of analog
circuitry like the amps that put out headphone or line level signals,
but most manufacturers do a decent job.

Don't buy the hype, just buy something that works for you.