[ASTRO] Re: Recording

.. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, David wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission [V-300zX1Z4-0BX600]
>
> The Astro-geeks allow recording devices to be brought into their shows,
> correct?
>
> Corran

Yes, but it is still polite to ask before the show.  Your problem is
going to be with the venue staff.  Most clubs have a no cameras or
recording devices policy and will not sympathize with your claims
that the band doesn't care.  For this reason, I actually couldn't
get a recorder into a Negativland show once.  Anyone who knows anything
about Negativland knows what a joke that is.  For those of you who
don't know Negativland, they have made a career of pushing the
envelope of the "fair use" clause of the U.S. Copyright law.

If you want to record a show there are two paths I would
suggest:

1) Show up extra early and talk to someone with the band before the
venue thugs arrive.  Soudchecks are usually a couple of
hours before the doors open.  They can help you get whatever passes
for a "press pass" at your particular venue.  This will get any
kind of cameras.

2) Sneak your gear in.  I would still only do this if I knew the
band was generally ok with fan taping, and MOA? generally _is_
ok with it.

Of course, there's always the possibility that you'll find a situation
like I did tonight.  RKCNDY in Seattle didn't seem to care that
I was carrying two video cameras and a tripod right through the
front door.   And this wasn't extra early either, it was after the
doors had officially opened, and I wasn't even on the guest list.

This is the first time I've seen a club
with that open of a fan taping policy.  So, I guess different
clubs are going to handle the issue in different ways.

Babbling sleepless zombie must go away now...