[ASTRO] Re: Am I the only one...?

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Ben Goetting wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission [X-HJIKE27.W3]
>
> Who dosn't really like instrumental surf all that much?
>
> I mean.. i have always loved Moam? .. they just have a certain style that
> sticks out...ever since I bought "Destroy.." and "Born Of Woman..." i have
> been hooked.. but am I the only one is thinks that instrumental surf music
> (in general) is repetitive and boring? I prefer more garage rock type
> bands.. estrus bands like supercharger, trashwomen, teengenerate, the
> drags, the statics, lord high fixers, the makers.. ect? You know.. the more
> 3 chord raw rock and roll/punk rock type stuff.. i dunno.. just asking for
> opinions..
>
> ~Ben

Heck, Idunno.  Mebbe I shouldn't reply, because I am unclear on the
distinctions between these genres of music.   Until recently, I was
strictly a Progressive Rock Snob, so I'm still learning.

Surf does appear to be a narrowly-defined genre with a limited
musical palette.  But for reasons I can't explain, I can't get enough
of it.  There are lots of kinds of music that are very self-limited,
like rap and techno and country etc.  I don't know why some of them bore
or annoy me and others excite me.

I think we need some kind of an expert psycho-musicologist to explain
this (bring on the psychotic musicologist jokes).

MOA? music keeps me alert and energetic better than coffee, and at
the same time it is the magical ingredient that makes any occasion
fun, just like booze, only better!  And that's saying something, coming
from a card-carrying member of The American Booze Council.

Of course, when we're discussing MOA?, we aren't talking about "just"
a surf band, but a bold and adventurous band with roots in surf.
But I also really love some bands that are "just" surf, like
Los Straightjackets and The Galaxy Trio.

Well, you asked for opinions, so these are mine.

Mookie

P.S.  Although certain aliens and robots may be offended, when I
wax obsessive about MOA?, I am at the same time doing the same
regarding Servotron.  Although they make very different kinds of
music, mostly, I regard them both as manifestations of the same
critical mass of creativity, and they both similarly enhance my
quality of life.