[ASTRO] Re: FW: mac vs. pc

Well, like LP vs. CD, this is one of those "can't we all just get along?"
subjects.  Mac is cool and some of my earliest and happiest computing
memories are with Macs (my very earliest computing memories are
with TRS80 and HP3000).  When MACS came out they were waaaay ahead of
their time, particularly in the user interface.  It took a long time,
but with WIN95, Microscum have come close enough to a Mac-like user
interface to be semi-habitable for normal humans (and extra-ordinary
aliens).

However... please recognize that every nasty greedy tactic ever
perpetrated by Locutus of Redmond (Bill Gates) was tried first and
nastiest by the enigmatic and charismatic Steve Jobs.  He created and
maintained a closed architecture, completely shutting out third-party
hardware and making things so difficult for third-party software vendors
that many didn't bother trying.

Apple, the company, deserves the failures they have brought upon
themselves.  Macintosh, the technology, deserved much better than
Apple gave it.  It could have been the dominant computing platform
that Wintel is today if only Steve had been a little less greedy and
opened up the architecture and played nicely with the other children.
Steve tried to build a computing Monopoly by creating a captive
market wholly controlled by one company.  This never works, as
Bill Gates will eventually learn.

Mac still has a firm foothold in the education and publishing markets,
education because of a successful marketing strategy and publishing because
it is the best tool for the job.  In both cases Mac shines because it
is an OS for the Everyman, designed from the ground up with normal
humans in mind, rather than the electronic hobbyists that PCs were
aimed at.

I am an electronic hobbyist, so my OS of choice is Linux!  Viva la Linux!

Now I just need to build up a machine with an AMD or Cyrix processor
to run Linux, and I will be free of the tyranny of WinTel!

Mookie