[ASTRO] Re: Straightjackets on Conan

.. begin astro-transmission [XQA00309.3]

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, J.D. P. Lafrance wrote:

> .. begin astro-transmission [XQA00309.3]
>
> pylon.roadguard@sympatico.ca writes:
>
> > Don't forget that the Friday of that week, the 19th I assume, SCOTS will
> be
> > on Conan as well...  Can't wait, hopefully Triumph'll be on it and then
> it'd
> > be perfect...
>
> we can only hope. Triumph has to be one of the best characters on Conan
> since the masturbating bear!
>

> bfn,
> JDL

Thanks for clearing that up.  I thought he meant Triumph, the Canadian
band from the 70s.   Who the heck?  Ok, they were a Rush wannabe band
with a Christian twist, although they were on a "secular" label and played
on non-religious radio.  They weren't all that bad really, but certainly
not as good as Rush.  Their one hit was "Fight the Good Fight".  This
kind of anthemic arena rock sounds pretty corny today, but it was
"da shit" to us "honkey" teenagers 15-20 years ago.

So who is this "Triumph" Conan Obrien character?  I thought I watched far
too much of that show already, but I've apparently missed something.
I think the best character is the insult comic dog... for me to poop on!

One of my favorite moments was when William Shatner sat through a bunch
of deep cutting remarks from the insult comic dog.  Conan was doing
the lead-out to the commercial, saying something like "We have more
great show for you coming up...".  Suddenly Shatner bellowed "FOR ME
TO POOP ON!" at the top of his lungs.  Conan just about jumped out
of his skin.

Shatner is so familiar and so strange at the same time, just like my dad.
Ooops, I'm over-sharing, aren't I?