[ASTRO] Re: Aha, hidden track, astroshows

.. begin astro-transmission

<snip!>

> >Does MoAM? allow you to just plug into the soundboard?
> >

> >xKevinx

No.  Chris Bilheimer himself (art guy/road guy/all around good guy)
told me that plugging into the board was just about the only
thing they do _not_ allow.  This is understandable, as some amateur
yahoo bumbling around near the board could cause problems, and you
could even adversely affect things if what you plug in isn't the
right impedance, or worse yet actually feeds voltages back at
the board.

It is possible to get a decent live recording with open air mics.
In fact, that is the best way to get an "authentic" live recording.
MoAM makes it easier by being very loud, which means they tend
to drown out audience noise during the songs, even if there are noisy
audience members fairly close to you.  The main danger is with
getting your equipment torn up by the rowdy crowd.  Direct human
collisions with the mics themselves, or violent jostling of the tape
transport, can cause unpleasant side-effects that go beyond "authenticity".

There are even ways to get a recording with decent stereo imaging
from mobile mics, but I'm not giving away all my secrets here.