[ASTRO] Re: Astro-themes

.. begin astro-transmission [Q-10IAE27.Z5]

Oh, the humanity!  Poor Klixan has blundered into MAC-dominated
territory with a question which presumes Win95/Plus.  Ouch!
Grant took it plenty easy on you, Klixan, good luck with the
rest of them.

But seriously folks, I presume Klixan is talking about Desktop Themes
for Windows 95/98 (is there such a thing as Themes for NT?). A "Theme"
is a collection of icons, cursors and sounds that all supposedly work
together as part of a common subject or "Theme".  Easy to create, and
extra easy to make really bad ones.   The most common utility for
managing Themes is part of the "Plus!" add-on package from Microgrinch.
It is an unforgiveable crime that they charge separately, to the tune
of over 30 bucks, for a small collection of bells and whistles that
should have come free with the OS in the first place.  There are other
Theme Managers available, some of them free.  I found a decent 3rd
party one, just let me know if anyone wants me to bother re-finding
the name/maker of it.

Nope. I've looked.  There ain't no MOA? Themes out there.  Probably
because there is a high degree of correlation between MOA? fandom
and MAC userdom.  Don't ask me how this happened, but it seems to
be fairly true.  As has been mentioned before, MAC is definitely
the Earthling computing platform of choice for MOA? (and O.R.I. for
that matter), hosting both the astroman.com site and this listserv
(not operated by MOA?, but by uber-fan Grant Porter).

On my list of fun things to put on my website for download in
coming months, all related to MOA?/Servotron/ORI:

	Windoze Themes
	KDE Themes (KDE is Linux/X11 Window Manager)
	WinAmp/X11Amp Skins
	QuakeWorld Skins

We'll just see how much of that I actually get around to doing.
I spent some time trying to make a Coco Quake skin, but so far
nothing satisfactory has resulted.  If only I could get him to
send my some photos of him in classic quake-skin poses.  I've got
a scarily realistic skin of myself that I made in that way.  Freaky
when co-workers decide to wear my skin and I have to launch
rockets into my own face.

Enough of my rambling!

Mookie