[ASTRO] Re: Fwd: ittsburgh Show

> Date:        11/4/98 1:54 AM
> From:        Rtydufulus@aol.com
> To:          astro-man@mindspring.com
>
> dateline Pittsburgh:

<snip!>
> ...Some of my
> friends
> were sort of upset about the fact that the Astromen were signing
> autographs
> after the show.
> It seemed kind of rock starish they thought.

Signing autographs is "rock starish"?  This is a bad thing?
There is just no pleasing some people.  I think it is "rock starish"
to be whisked away in a limo before the house lights even come up.

I saw Barenaked Ladies just two years ago at the same club where
MOA? plays here, and they hung out with the fans for about an hour
after the show, signing autographs and talking and stuff.  Now that
they are "rock stars" I saw them last week in this huge auditorium
with seats (although no-one used them), and whaddya know, they pulled
the old disappearing act after the show.

Just in case any Astro-dudes are reading, my point is to say not
everyone thinks ill of you for taking the time to interact with
fans after a show and sign autographs.  In fact, some of us are downright
pleased that you do this.  Those who are too cool to ask for autographs
can just be that way.

>...  Most rock
> stars
> would not let just whoever come talk to them and just hang around after
> the
> show like that.  It was nice to talk to them afterwards.

Ok, you're getting the right idea.  Astro-human interface is a _good_ thing.

> I decided to
> take
> advantage of the opportunity to talk to the guys but did not engage in
> any of
> the autograph seeking.

Doh!  You succumbed to the "too cool" influence of your friends!
How could this happen?  You are supposed to be totally brainwashed
by MOA?.

So much fun is lost to coolness.  IMHO, life is too short to be too
cool.  It is much more rewarding to be a geek and embarass yourself
on a regular basis.  Do you think the members of ORI and MOA? are
great because they worry about looking cool?  I think they're great
because they aren't afraid to look like total geeks.

Of course, it is perfectly ok to not be interested in autographs.
What I think doesn't really matter anyway.  It just sounds to me
like you didn't ask for autographs because you cared a little bit
too much about what your friends would think.

I'm proud to have Astro-graphs.  If you want to check mine out,
go to:

http://www.kepler.net/moam.html

When MOA? The Next Regeneration comes to my town, I'll definitely
be seeking to add autographs of Blazar and Trace Reading to
my collection.

> Anyway it was a great show.  There was not a huge
> crowd.  You would think ORI at Carnegie Mellon, where they went to school
> would draw more people but this is Pittsburgh...
> Mr. Short

Anyway, thanks for the review.  I'm not trying to be harsh on on Mr.
Short, I'm just trying to influence him to my uncool outlook on
life.  A quick glance at the Astro-listee photo gallery seems to
support the idea that there are a number of us who aren't afraid to
be geeks.