[ASTRO] Re: Gattaca

.. begin astro-transmission

On Nov 7,  6:09pm, <lwhite@rigel.econ.uga.edu> wrote:
> Subject: [ASTRO]  Re: Gattaca
> .. begin astro-transmission
>
> Captain Kirk writes:
>
> > For some reason this got me thinking of genetic engineering. Has anyone
> > seen Gattaca? It was a great movie. I was real suprised. Much better than
> > the CGI alien exploding green goo sci-fi fare we've been exposed to lately.
>
> Request permission to disagree, Captain.  Gattaca is intelligent,
> thought-provoking -- and boring.  No special effects, lifeless acting, and
> way too much schmaltz.
>
> --Moon Dawg

I doubt I will bother to see this one.  The promotions sound like this
is a manifestation of the latest fad fear, which is fear of cloning.
Gimme a friggin break.  I can't wait for a MST3K episode with rampaging
clones so that Mike and the Bots can chant "Gattaca! Gattaca!" ala
"Attica".

I like CGI aliens exploding goo!  That describes my favorite two films
of the last year or so: Mars Attacks and Men In Black.  Tonight I go
see Starship Troopers, which promises to have many CGI aliens exploding
with much goo!  I don't expect a plot, unless the screenwriter created
one from scratch.  I've read the book, and I _am_ a Henlein fan, but
Starship Troopers is a rambling plotless wonder.