[ASTRO] Re: fav drinks???

.. begin astro-transmission

<snip!>
> << Being only 18 (going on 19...yay!), I am not the one for alcoholic
> beverages.
>   This is not really much of an excuse, because all my fellow college friends
>  have already been plastered beyond belief.  I am generally a "goody-two
>  shoes" kind of person by nature, anyway.  So in typical "good little girl"
>  fashion, I stay away from all that stuff.  And besides, seeing people drunk
>  off their @$$es doesn't really make me want to go and join them.  It proves
>  to be an effective reason NOT to drink.  =P
>
>  Basically, I am just a control-freak and want to be conscious of everything
>  say and do. >>
> You said it! I'm with you!
<snip!>

As the originator of the "fav drinks" thread, I want to make sure everyone
understands that I don't wish to promote drinking, especially for minors,
nor do I wish to alienate non-drinkers.  That said, I also don't think
I need to apologise for the fact that I enjoy alcoholic beverages in moderation,
and occasionally in slight excess.

For those that do drink, a couple of experienced words of advice.

1) drink _lots_ of water, at least a two-to-one ratio of water to
alcoholic beverages, both while you are drinking alcohol and afterwards.
This helps you metabolize the alcohol and replaces water lost due to
the diaheretic (sp?) effects of alcohol, which is why I advocate water
over coffee for this purpouse, since coffee also goes right through you.
In the long run, I feel much better and get no headaches later when
I follow this advice.

2) Do not drive or sleep for at least two hours after drinking alcohol.
Yeah, everybody knows about drinking and driving, but what's this about
sleeping?  Well, to my experience, hangovers only happen when I fall asleep
while still under the influence.  Never ever ever drink so much that you
literally pass out.  This is not fun and is very hazardous to your health.

Ok, got my disclaimers in there, and some sage advice.  Next time, I
promise I will really really have something to say about my favorite
band, Man or... ASTRO-man?