[ASTRO] LP vs CD ...another point

There are other points to the CD vs LP debate besides tech.

One of these reasons the development of the CD was pushed so hard was a
marketing decision. The larger record labels saw it as a way to sell copies
of recordings they had already sold, a way to re-sell things people aready
had.
Think of the millions of "classic rock" cds that people were now going to
be "forced" to buy.

The issue of "forced" to buy: in order for the above plan to work, the new
format had to become the new standard, otherwise a few pioneers, or suckers
(depending on how you look at it) will be left with items like the 8-track,
an industry flop.

In order to assure the market dominace of CDs, there of course needed to be
a large supply of CD players, and of course, CDs. Many "arrangments" we
made between coorporations that ensured the parallel production of both
products (how nice for both the cd player manufacturers, and the cd
manufacturer..).
Now..the trick is..getting these cd into stores who, at this point were
set-up primaily in the slaes of records (and cassette tapes). This seemed a
bit risky for the record stores...to stock this new format...they had seen
what happend with 8-track.

So...in order to get the ball rolling..the large record labels offered a
deal to the large record store chains: " stock our new CD format, and what
you dont sell, we'll buy back...although..we won't buy back the records you
don;t sell."...Hmmm this was a no risk situation...we can stock these
things and if it flops..they will buy them back....in fact..it doesn't make
much sense to even carry the recrds anymore since we are stcu with what we
dont sell  (This became more evident as the cd stared to get
established..basically with exponential effects)

Keep in mind, this offer was not extended to independent "mom&pop" record
stores..and keep in mind that only the large manufacturing companies had
access to this emerging technology at the time (only a handfull of
manufacturers, working for the larger record labels, had the technolgy
liscence from PHILLIPS, to make cds (for a fee).

So in effect..when this started taking hold (with millions in marketing),
this did a few things...it created a whole new market for previously sold
goods, it created a whole new market for a new consumer electronic device
(which would have happended anyway!), and it put a huge pinch on the small
independent record shops. (remember..there we no small labels making cds at
the time) All of these effects help empower the already huge record labels
and record chain stores, while setting back the independent shops, labels,
and bands. If a independent band can't sell it's product (a now everly
growing defunct format "the record") then soon they can't exsist..and you
head toward a music INDUSTRY based way more in mass marketing, business,
and moving (hudreds of thousands) units, as oposed to music.

I think we all understand the value of the existance of the independent
music community (regardless of the type, or even qualoty of music)
culturally.
And initially this format change over was a very real threat and set back
to this community.  It was a very real attempt by the larger labels (in a
business sense) to take a hold of more of the market share of music buyers.
Increasing there already huge position, and taking from guess who.

Luckily...the plan didn't altogether work...one thing that the larger
labels seem to keep forgetting is that their market is a bit differant, in
that they are selling to music CONSUMERS (those who buy a cd for one song,
listen to it for a few weeks, and the toss it for the next weeks hit),
verus the primary market of independent music, the MUSIC fans.
This coupled with the eventual decrease in price of CD manufacture,(and
decreased limits on manufacturers) allowed independent music to not only
survive, but eventually grow.

There are definitly still pros and cons to each format...from a
technological sense, to a practical sense, a econmic sense, and to a
cultural/political senses. We (Man or Astro-man?) see the benifits of both,
and value the existance of both in the marketplace..unfortunatly, the CD
pushes down vinyl sales every year (in percent), so it seems the vinyl side
of things could use a little help.
I would hate to let mass market forces be the only force acting in this (or
any) situation. This is one of the reason we put bonus tracks on the
records.

Anyway..all of these points are specifically backed by specific fugures in
a great article I will post or ref. if I can dig it up.

.over
.coco